The Witcher 1

I was a bit of a stranger to action role-playing games, not because I didn't like them, but because I was so pre-occupied with other genres such as first person shooters and racing games. It became routine to stick with these genres. That, and having a full time career, a long daily commute, and a family!



However, one day I bit the bullet and plunged myself into the role-playing world. Witcher 3 was not long released at the time, and was taking the headlines by storm. Footage of the game was everywhere and looked amazing, and reviews were fantastic. The game was intriguing and this was my tantalising pull into the world of The Witcher. However, I wanted to enter this world in the correct way, and that was to start with The Witcher 1. This way I would know all the back story as I move through The Witcher 2 and 3.

As a matter of fact I had a DVD copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (Platinum Edition) for PC  lying around for a few years. So I finally popped open the Cellophane wrap and inserted the disc into the PC. This felt like stepping back in time, not like the standard digital download as per modern methods.

My overall experience of The Witcher 1 was great, but this grew over time. First impressions were that the controls and combat were clunky, and the long walks between destinations were a tedious chore. After a little time it turned out that I had missed the point on how to combat properly. Timing is everything, and when to attack and when not to attack are paramount. Get smart with this and combat becomes an addictive combo-fuelled delight!

As the game went on I got sucked into the story line and began to empathise more and more with the characters. As I was hooked, I completed the game in it's entirety and then went onto complete every single one of the New Adventures. An important piece on information to note here is that as this is a stand alone DVD copy of The Witcher (not tied to Steam or anything) there are no in-game achievements. This is a big deal to me because I usually get my motivation from trying to complete all achievements. The game was that good that I still went ahead and completed everything with nothing to show but good memories. The Witcher 2 and 3 are definitely on my radar next!

My next blog posts will discuss the finer details within The Witcher 1, so fans of this game should stay tuned!! Subscribe to my blog or follow by email to stay updated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Witcher 1 - How to Manage a Full Inventory

Witcher 1 Romance Cards

Welcome to the SemiRetroGaming blog!